There are tens of thousands of people who are affected by asthma in their lives. Because of a large number of people who are affected, there are also a large number of myths and facts about asthma that are urban legends.  Is it fact or is fiction? You may be surprised by the answers.

The number one myth about asthma: Asthma is all in your head.  FALSE! Although asthma was once treated as a psychological illness, researchers and scientists have proven that asthma results in consistent physical changes in the bronchioles and alveoli of the lungs.  Doctors were once slow to treat asthma. Unfortunately, even mild asthma left untreated will result in pulmonary hypertension and heart damage.

Although asthma is exacerbated by psychological triggers such as emotional stress it is not caused by the emotional stress.

The myth about asthma number two: Asthmatics outgrow their condition.  FALSE! Asthma is a condition that is not outgrown and not cured. In fact, there are adults who develop asthma after the age of 20.  Asthma can be controlled but never really goes away.

Which leads to the myth about asthma number three: asthma can be cured.  FALSE! Although some people's asthma remains inactive for months or even years it can flare at any time.  Asthma can be mild, moderate, severe or life-threatening and it can be controlled with medications and preventative measures.  But it can not be cured.

The myth about asthma number four: Asthma runs in the family.  TRUE! If your parents' don't have asthma you have a 6% chance of having asthma.  But if one of your parents is affected you have a 30% chance and if both parents suffer from asthma you have a 70% chance of developing asthma.

The myth about asthma number five: Asthma is contagious.  FALSE! Asthma cannot be caught. It isn't contagious.  You can't get asthma from your friends, your relatives or others with whom you have contact.  Because you are around people who suffer from asthma you won't get it.

The myth about asthma number six: Moving can improve your asthma.  Possible! A new environment can temporarily improve asthma symptoms but it doesn't cure asthma.  Asthma is never cured. In the beginning, the asthmatic attacks are often lessened but after a few years people may become sensitized to the new environment and the asthma symptoms may return with the same or greater intensity.

The myth about asthma number seven: Asthmatics shouldn't exercise.  FALSE! People with asthma should exercise but avoid the cold weather and exercises that require much mouth breathing.  Swimming is a good exercise for asthmatics because the air is often heated and humid while cold dry air may trigger an attack.

The myth about asthma number eight: Asthma medications are habit forming and addictive. FALSE!  Asthma medications are not addictive or habit forming. An asthmatic can't provoke an attack at will either.  Attacks are more likely to occur when the asthmatic is under severe emotional stress but they cannot be faked.

This website puts documents at your disposal only and solely for information purposes. They can not in any way replace the consultation of a physician or the care provided by a qualified practitioner and should therefore never be interpreted as being able to do so.